Andrew Powell MP - Joyce Newton OAM Memorial Bursary
Guidelines for 2021 applicants
The Electorate of Glass House takes in numerous regional and suburban areas. For many school leavers, it is often necessary to travel, or move, to major centres to access further education after leaving Year 12. In recognition of this need, and to support students who wish to further their qualifications after completing Year 12 (either at university, in a trade or TAFE), I have developed a bursary for year 12 school leavers – the Joyce Newton OAM Memorial Bursary in honour of my good friend and community advocate Joyce Newton. Joyce sadly passed away in 2018 of Motor Neurones disease. This bursary is designed to provide financial assistance to help school leavers with the costs associated with moving to their place of learning, and the purchase of books, IT, trade tools and/or other necessary requirements.
Who can apply?
1. Year 12 School Leavers who are pursuing further study after leaving Year 12.
2. Students must be a resident of the Glass House Electorate (but can be attending a school outside the electorate).
3. Study includes university, TAFE, a trade or any other training qualification.
How much is the Bursary worth?
The Bursary is a $1000 gift voucher to your choice of Concept IT or Mitre 10 (including GST). One successful application will be chosen each year.
The winning applicant and their immediate family will also be invited to dinner at Queensland Parliament with myself and Joyce Newton OAM’s daughter, Jennifer Tunley.
There will be one round per year.
• • Applications open on the 12th July 2021
• • Applications close on the 27th August 2021
• • Panel interviews conducted in September 2021
Five applications will be shortlisted. Applicants must be available for a panel interview at the Glass House Electorate Office (in Maleny) or via Zoom, pending COVID restrictions. The successful applicant will be announced late September/early October 2021.
How to apply:
On one page, please list:
• Your name, address, best contact phone number, school you attend
• Achievements at school (academic, community, sporting and other)
• The study you wish to undertake in 2022 and where this study is based
• Why you want to undertake this study
• How a bursary will assist you to undertake this study
• What did Joyce Newton do/contribute to her community?
Send your application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail PO Box 727, Maleny QLD 4552. For further information, please call (07) 5318 8100.