At Beerwah State High School, we recognise the importance and necessity to equip students with the skills to be competent, safe users of technology and to enhance their learning experiences through student centred learning, critical and creative thinking and virtual learning environments.
Our Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) laptop program is about to enter its fifth year and continues to gain momentum. All students in Years 7 in 2020 are required to have a BYO or hire laptop. Students in Year's 8 to 12 are also strongly encouraged to participate in our BYO laptop program to enhance their learning at school and at home.
BYOD Connection Process
Students must download and read the Student BYOD Charter Agreement and return the attached BYOD Connectivity Form. The IT department will then guide them through the "on-boarding" process and provide instructions on the use of the BYOD network.
To ensure the best experience for students participating in the BYOD program, we have decided on a set of minimum device specifications. Before acquiring a laptop to use at school please refer to the BYOD Program Information for minimum BYOD device specifications.
- Surface RT, Windows 10 in S-Mode, Linux, Google Chromebook and Android Operating Systems are NOT SUPPORTED Operating Systems. Click here for instructions on how to switch out of Windows 10 S-Mode.
- No Mobile Phones are allowed on the BYO network.
- Devices that have 64GB or less hard drive space do not have the necessary storage for required software and OneNote Notebook synchronisation.
- Devices that have an Intel Atom or Intel Celeron Processor have performance limitations which will impact on the student's learning experience and software capabilities.
Purchasing your BYO device
There are a number of options available for parents to choose from.
- Parents can purchase from your preferred supplier. All warranty and
service issues will be the parents' responsibility. Beerwah State High School has no involvement in these arrangements.
- Renting a device is a great option. The device, warranty repairs and insurance are all bundled into an affordable weekly payment.
Mandatory conditions before accessing the school network
Students will be provided with the opportunity to connect to the school Wi-Fi network when the following conditions have been met:
- Payment of School Resource Levy (Payment Plan available)
- Completion of the BYOD Connectivity Form
- Approved device that meet the school's specifications
- Anti-virus software installed
Students are often not very careful when they are packing their bags. Often shoving the device in their bags can damage keys or crack the screen.
It is recommended both laptops and tablets are stored in a protective case when not in use.