At Beerwah State High School, we recognise the importance and necessity to equip students with the skills to be competent, safe users of technology and to enhance their learning experiences through student centred learning, critical and creative thinking and virtual learning environments.
Our Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) program is about to enter its sixth year and continues to gain momentum. All students in Year 7 in 2021 are required to have a BYO or hire laptop. Students in Year's 8 to 12 are also strongly encouraged to participate in our BYO laptop program to enhance their learning at school and at home.
BYOxLink Connection Process - Connect from home
BYOxLink enables students and parents to install the School Wi-Fi and apps onto their devices from home streamlining the process so students and devices are ready for learning before coming to School. This will make student access to the School Wi-Fi faster, safer and more efficient.
To use the BYOxLink service, you will need to enrol the device into Microsoft Intune Company Portal. Microsoft Intune is a cloud-based mobile device management (MDM) platform that, for the purpose of BYOxLink, allows the department to distribute a wireless network profile and curriculum related applications to BYO devices.
Instructions are provided in short video form for iPads, MacBooks, and Windows devices. Written instructions will also be uploaded to our website.
Instructions for students to connect to this new network are available in the Student SharePoint and on the school website. It is important to ensure BYO devices are fully updated with any Windows or Apple updates prior to following the connection instructions.
Please contact our IT support should you have any problems.
BYOD Connection Process for New Users
Students must download and read the Student BYOD Charter Agreement and return the attached BYOD Connectivity Form.
Students will then have their accounts enabled and can follow the BYOxLink Connection Process outlined above.
To ensure the best experience for students participating in the BYOD program, we have decided on a set of minimum device specifications. Before acquiring a laptop to use at school please refer to the BYOD Program Information for minimum BYOD device specifications.
- Minimum wireless specs with 5ghz support.
- Surface RT, Windows 10 in S-Mode, Linux, Google Chromebook and Android Operating Systems are NOT SUPPORTED Operating Systems. Click here for instructions on how to switch out of Windows 10 S-Mode.
- No Mobile Phones are allowed on the BYO network.
- Devices that have 128gb or less hard drive space do not have the necessary storage for required software and OneNote Notebook synchronisation.
- Devices that have an Intel Atom or Intel Celeron Processor have performance limitations which will impact on the student's learning experience and software capabilities.
Purchasing your BYO device
There are a number of options available for parents to choose from.
- Parents can purchase from your preferred supplier. All warranty and
service issues will be the parents' responsibility. Beerwah State High School has no involvement in these arrangements.
- Renting a device is a great option. The device, warranty repairs and insurance are all bundled into an affordable weekly payment.
Mandatory conditions before accessing the school network
Students will be provided with the opportunity to connect to the school BYOxLink network when the following conditions have been met:
- Payment of School Resource Levy (Payment Plan available)
- Completion of the BYOD Connectivity Form
- Approved device that meet the school's specifications
Students are often not very careful when they are packing their bags. Often shoving the device in their bags can damage keys or crack the screen.
It is recommended both laptops and tablets are stored in a protective case when not in use.